Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Cultivating An Attitude of Gratitude

“If the only prayer you said in your whole life was, ‘thank you,’ that would suffice.” -Meister Eckhart.

If I have 24-hours time examining which part of my entire life I feel so grateful, I choose ‘being born’ as the supreme list. Why? Simply it’s the best thing that happens in my life. I don’t really care what story and personal legend I may bring into my graveyard, but being born and alive are the best thing to be grateful for. And I am thankful to God and my parent for the day of awesomeness came into life.

It’s been almost 3 months since I committed to cultivate attitude of gratitude for everything I have in life. There were ups and down until today, and there has been a big challenge for my faith of being gratitude last month. I failed to encourage myself several days and if only I have black magic, I may have turned myself into cosmic fish to fly away to Andromeda to get out from everything. I don’t regret for those days; I’m just human and having humanness is normal after all.

Looking at those mentally suffered-days, I feel grateful that I’m still a happy person today.

We live in the society where we’re conditioned to always be striving for more; for bigger and better things. There should be the best for everything and we just try so hard to stay on top. For me, it’s a good thing – it has been waking me up to think and do better things everyday. But sometimes there’s just no ‘enough’ for it. And eventually it leads to ungrateful attitude, whether I realize it or not.

Last week I was back to the beach to be back to awesomeness. Instead of being a beach bum with Daisy, I was sick in almost entire of my vacation last long weekend. I needed to let go the best holiday I imagined before departing to Bali. The surfing plan was gone. Places to go are just in the head, never came into reality.

Though it wasn’t perfect, I still feel awesome to have felt sickness in isle of gods.

Morale of the story? Well, it’s just hard to complain having an imperfect vacation whilst millions of people out there even never have chance to have one. It’s hard to not-being-grateful for the small pain I had just in my room while I know the pain I felt eventually did not make me die. That universe still gives fresh air to breathe and heartbeat to stay alive. That my trip ended up safely back to Jakarta in the midst of Hercules crash news on TV. So I have millions of reasons to stay grateful for anything and it keeps me alive!

In the land of awesomeness; cultivating attitude of gratitude.


Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: